The Good Shepherd Parish was formally established in Milford in April 1871. Our sister parish, St. John the Evangelist, was established in 1888 in southern Pike County, in the town of Dingmans Ferry. Good Shepherd always had a year-round congregation, while St. John primarily served nearby summer residents; for several decades Good Shepherd’s rector conducted services at St. John in season. St. John’s church stood in the area along the Delaware River banks, which today forms the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Thus in 1972, after the government acquired the church property, St. John’s parish, at its request, merged with Good Shepherd. Today the parish of Good Shepherd and St. John the Evangelist is the only Episcopal parish in Pike County.
Our church was built in 1914 from local river cobblestones after the original church burned. The magnificent stained glass windows include many salvaged from the first Good Shepherd building and one from St. John’s church. The Rectory building, used since 1985 as a childcare center, and the parish hall both date from 1891. The church offices were added in 1965. Our church comfortably seats about 110 people.